Peripheral Nerve Injury Treatment in Gurgaon
A network of 43 motors and sensory nerves that connect the spinal cord and brain to the whole of the human body is known as the peripheral nervous system. The peripheral nerve controls the function of sensations, movements and motor co-ordinations. These are fragile and can be damaged easily. When any of these nerves get damaged or suffer an injury or trauma is known as peripheral nerve injury.
A damaged nerve can affect your brain’s ability to coordinate with your muscles and organs. The damaged peripheral nerves are called peripheral neuropathy.
What Causes The Peripheral Nerve Injury?
Following are the reasons that can cause you the peripheral nerve injury:
- Laceration (torn nerve tissue)
- Severe bruising
- Wounds due to gunshot
- Stretching or pressing a nerve
- Accidents and trauma
- Bacterial infections
Symptoms of Peripheral Nerve Injury
The symptoms of peripheral nerve injury depend on the nerve type in the peripheral system. The peripheral nerves are classified into sensory nerves, motor nerves, and automatic nerves:
- Numbness or tingling in your feet or hands.
- Burning pain.
- Increased sensitivity to touch.
- Weak muscles.
- If autonomic nerves are affected, you may feel heat intolerance, excess sweating, bladder or digestive problems, dizziness, etc.
Peripheral nerve injury is diagnosed with a medical history, physical examination, and diagnostic tests:
- Medical history: The doctor reviews your medical history, which includes the symptoms and their lifestyle.
- Physical examination: The doctor checks your reflex, muscle strength, tone, sensations etc.
- Diagnostic tests:blood tests, Magnate Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computed Tomography (CT Scan), Electromyography (EMG), Nerve & skin biopsy and other nerve function tests.
The treatment of peripheral nerve injuries is performed to reduce and eliminate their symptoms. Some of the peripheral nerve injuries are treated with surgeries; on the other hand, medication, immobilization and physical therapies are non-surgical treatments.