Peripheral Nerve Injury Treatment in India
A network of 43 pairs of motors and sensory nerves which connects the spinal cord and brain to the whole of
the human body are known as peripheral nerve system. The peripheral nerve controls the function of
sensations, movements and motor co-ordinations. These are fragile and can be damaged easily. When any of
these nerves gets damaged or suffers an injury or trauma is known as peripheral nerve injury.
A damaged nerve can affect your brain’s ability to coordinate with your muscles and organs. The damaged peripheral nerves are called peripheral neuropathy.
What Causes The Peripheral Nerve Injury?
Following are the reasons that can cause you the peripheral nerve injury:
- Laceration (torn nerve tissue)
- Severe bruising
- Wounds due to gunshot
- Stretching or pressing a nerve
- Accidents and trauma
- Bacterial infections
Symptoms of Peripheral Nerve Injury
The symptoms of peripheral nerve injury depend on the nerve type in the peripheral system. The peripheral nerves are classified into sensory nerves, motor nerves, and automatic nerves:
- Numbness or tingling in your feet or hands
- Burning pain
- Increased sensitivity to touch
- Weak muscles
- If autonomic nerves affected, then you may feel heat intolerance, excessing sweating, bladder or digestive problems, dizziness, etc.
Peripheral nerve injury is diagnosed with a medical history, physical examination, and diagnostic tests:
- Medical history: The doctor reviews your medical history, which includes the symptoms and their lifestyle
- Physical examination: The doctor checks your reflex, muscle strength, and tone, sensations etc.
- Diagnostic tests: blood tests, Magnate Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computed Tomography (CT Scan), Electromyography (EMG), Nerve & skin biopsy and other nerve function tests
The treatment of peripheral nerve injuries is performed to reduce and eliminate their symptoms. Some of the peripheral nerve injuries are treated with the surgeries, on the other hand, medication, immobilization and physical therapies are the non-surgical treatments for the same.