Spasticity Treatment India
Nerve root sectioning is neurosurgical that treats moderate and severe spasticity after the brain and spinal cord injury. In nerve root sectioning, selected sensory nerve roots in the lower spine are cut to reduce spasticity. Nerve root sectioning for spasticity is majorly performed in younger pediatric patients after brain and spinal cord injury. It is considered as one of the most effective treatment options in patients with a few or no contractures. Nerve root sectioning can improve your leg and arm functioning, muscle tone, flexibility, positioning and overall functional ability with the physical therapy. .
It also helps to improve the walk of the children, who are already mobile. This procedure has the capability to offer the greatest amount of functionality to patients such as good strength, motivation and cognitive function. On the other hand, the children who are not mobile, nerve root sectioning is performed for other reasons including pain relief from the spasticity, to reduce tone and prevent contractures, or to help them to enable with day to day activities.
Spasticity after brain and spinal cord injury
Spasticity is a side effect of paralysis from muscle stiffness to severe, uncontrollable leg movements. It is usually caused by brain and spinal cord injuries. In other words, spasticity is generally caused by damage to the part/ portion of the brain or the spinal cord which controls the voluntary movements of your body. It gradually develops over the time after surgery. The normal flow of the nerve messages is interrupted by the injuries on the brain or on the spine, hence, the reflex control center of the brain is unable to transmit them. Then our spinal cord tries to control the body’s response. The spinal cord is not as efficient as the brain, therefore, it sent back the signals to the site of sensation in an overactive muscle response, such as uncontrollable movements, muscle stiffening, and strengthening, contraction of the muscles, etc. Flexor and extensor are the most common muscles that spasm.
Symptoms of spasticity
- Sudden involuntary and extending of a limb, jerking of muscle groups such as trunk, bladder, and rectum.
- Hyperactive reflexes of the muscles, spasm when you are touched. Muscles that stiffen are at rest, which makes it difficult to relax your muscles.
- Muscle get stiffens during the activities and it makes it difficult for you to control your activities
Problems caused due to spasticity
- It can be painful.
- Spasticity can cause you a loss of range of motion in your joints.
- It can make it difficult for you to sit longer.
- If you have spasticity in your chest muscles then it would be difficult for you to take deep breaths.
- Repeated muscle spasms may affect your sleep.
- It can make your movements harder to control.
How root nerve sectioning for spasticity is performed?
Nerve root sectioning is a minimally invasive procedure. A small incision is made so that a minimum of tissue is disturbed. A minimally invasive nerve root sectioning is shorter than the traditional surgery. It provides quicker recovery and fewer complications. The doctors give anesthesia to the patient, which makes him or her unconscious. The patient is positioned from the chest side and the doctor makes a small incision over the lower spine. The surgeon removes the back of the vertebra to access the spinal canal. The dural sac is directly opened over the nerve roots that cause spasticity. The surgeon separates the nerve roots and rootlets. The surgeon checks the electrical signals with the help of the device. The nerve rootlets which causes spasticity are cut and separated from the normal nerve rootlets. The surgeon closes the dural sac and closes the incision with dressings.
Management of spasticity of nerve root sectioning after brain and spinal cord injury
- A healthy lifestyle helps you to avoid the problems that can increase spasticity.
- Physical treatments.
- Regular stretching exercises helps you to maintain flexibility and helps to lower the effect of muscle stiffness.
- Weight-bearing and supporting devices help you to stretch muscles.
- Splints, braces, or progressive casting into the desired positions for muscles stretching and flexibility.
- Use of hot and cold packs on the areas where you have sensations.
The oral medications and nerve point blocks come to aid when physical treatment is not enough to control spasticity. If spasticity involves a large area of your body, then the doctor may prescribe you medicines such as baclofen, benzodiazepines, dantrolene, tizanidine. The effectiveness of these medications depends on each individual. In case there is spasticity in one part of your body then anesthetic medications, alcohol, phenol or neurotoxins are injected into the muscles that have spasticity. The benefits are temporary and could be used with oral medications. You can contact us to know the charges of nerve root sectioning for spasticity and brain and spinal cord injury and other treatments by contacting us.
Dr. (Prof.) Sumit Sinha is one of the best neurosurgeons in Delhi (India). He has vast experience of over 17 years in the field of Neurosurgery. He is also one of the most awarded brain surgeons/ doctors in Delhi. Your search for the best doctor of the brain in India ends here. Please contact us.